Re: 2.4.19-mckinley-smp kernel: How to select compiled in modules?

Matt Taggart wrote:
> Poking around in the autofs userspace package, it looks like the
> daemon tells the kernel the max version of autofs it knows how to
> talk(AUTOFS_MAX_PROTO_VERSION) which is set to 4. So if both are built
> in it should use v4. Is that not the behavior you're seeing?

No.  I am seeing different behavior.  Looks like 'autofs' behavior.

I can't _really_ tell which driver is being used.  As a module I can
'lsmod'.  But how do you tell if it is not a module?  But the behavior
is matching 'autofs' behavior so I am assuming that is the one being
used and not 'autofs4'.

I believe autofs4 is also needed for NFSpv3 support.  Otherwise you
just get NFSpv2.  But don't quote me on that.  In any case, I think
autofs4 should be the default.  It is not in the 686 kernel either but
both are modules so it can be selected easily enough.

> Anyway /usr/share/doc/autofs/README.Debian says,
>
> "You will need to have the AUTOFS4 filesystem compiled as a module for
> your kernel."

I assume that means either as a module or as compiled into the kernel.
I think they really just mean selected for your kernel.  It needs
wordsmithing.  (BTW, I don't see that documentation with the current
version of autofs in stable.)

> Is there any reason to have the compiled in? (I guess you could ask
> if there's any reason to _not_ have these compiled in, but I'm not
> in that camp)

I can't think of any reason.  Obviously I would prefer it as a module
because then I would not be having this issue.

Just to be clear, this is Bdale's kernel-image-2.4.19-mckinley-smp
from debian.org and it is compiled it in, not a module, for the stock
Debian kernel.  So I can't answer why it is that way.  I would guess
that it has not been made visible as an issue until now.

Bob