Re: 2.4.19-mckinley-smp kernel: How to select compiled in modules?

Matt Taggart writes...

> Bob Proulx writes...
>
> > In the 2.4.19-mckinley-smp config the following exists.
> >
> >   CONFIG_AUTOFS_FS=y   <-- do not want it
> >   CONFIG_AUTOFS4_FS=y  <-- want it
> >
> > But the 'autofs' driver does not support hierarchical mounts.  I would
> > like to use the 'autofs4' driver.  In a modular kernel I can specify
> > autofs4 explicitly.  But when both are compiled into the kernel how
> > can I make use of autofs4 instead of autofs?
>
> Just a guess but try adding
>
> alias autofs autofs4
>
> to /etc/modules.conf via the debian method(man update-modules).

DOH!

Sorry, I stopped reading early.

Poking around in the autofs userspace package, it looks like the
daemon tells the kernel the max version of autofs it knows how to
talk(AUTOFS_MAX_PROTO_VERSION) which is set to 4. So if both are built
in it should use v4. Is that not the behavior you're seeing?

Anyway /usr/share/doc/autofs/README.Debian says,

"You will need to have the AUTOFS4 filesystem compiled as a module for
your kernel."

Is there any reason to have the compiled in? (I guess you could ask
if there's any reason to _not_ have these compiled in, but I'm not
in that camp)

Sorry for the mix-up, HTH.

--
Matt Taggart        Linux and Open Source Lab
taggart@fc.hp.com   Hewlett-Packard