Re: Can't get sound or high resolution

> I'm running 1856x1392 on an HP p1120 monitor quite happily, with a config that
> has been tested also at 1600x1200, 1280x1024, and 640x480.  I don't think
> there is anything unusual or inspired about my X config, but if you want to
> look at what I'm using, I've put a copy on the web at:
>
>         http://people.debian.org/~bdale/ia64/X/XF86Config-4
>
> If you try this config, you can of course use the ctrl/alt/minus-on-keypad
> combination to cycle through the modes it defines.

Okay, so I feel a little silly... I had just left the Monitor definition
the way XFree configure-er had left it basically blank. So I was sweating away
trying to figure if there was something wrong with the drivers or with the
Device section, but the problem was actually that X didn't think my monitor
could handle it.

I put some hard numbers in there, and have no problem running 1920x1440--which is the
highest resolution my monitor allows. Thanks for your help with this (to both who
responded).

> Yes.  If you're running a recent kernel-image packages, you will find the
> cs4281 driver has been included as a module.  Just do 'modprobe cs4281' and it
> should work.  Note that xmms has problems (builds ok, but segfaults at run
> time), but other audio programs seem ok.

If i run an lsmod, it lists the cs4281 module as being loaded (I loaded it kind
of on a hunch during installation). But I'm not hearing a thing. What's a good
way to test to see if the sound is working, that would return some useful errors
if it wasn't?

> No, you came to the right place.  :-)  The debian-ia64 list exists specifically
> to address questions about how to use Debian on IA-64 systems like the HP i2000.
>
> Bdale

Thanks--I've liked Debian for a while now, but the mailing lists have
given me a new reason--everybody's so helpful! Thanks!