Can't get sound or high resolution

I'm very pleased to have got Debian up and running on
the our i2000 from hp, but I can't seem to get any
higher resolutions than 640x480 (although it will
at least give me that in 24bpp--so it's better than
nothing). I saw the Red Hat that ships with the
machine at 1600x1200--so I'm pretty sure it can be
done. Am I missing some important configuration
option? Also, is it possible to squeeze any sound
out of these machines? I'm a semi-newbie, so simple
instructions--or a pointer to an appropriate faq or
how-to--may be the solution. Thanks for your help!

  --Daniel

P.S. If this is the wrong forum for questions like
these, please let me know. Thanks!