Re: Question wrt. Software/Product/Brand/Package Renaming and Translations

Quoting Axel Beckert (abe@debian.org):
> Hi Helge,
>
> thanks for your prompt reply.
>
> Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> > first thanks for sparing translators work. It is greatly appreciated.
>
> Great. I already feared I'd make the translators angry by touching
> those files. :-)

Thou Shalt Fear My Anger..:-)

(/me referring to yesterday's exchange where I partly share your
views: I didn't intend my mail to appear as menacing as it is, sorry)

> > First:
> > The one thing I hope is that the two names do not change gender in any
> > language, which might complicate things.
>
> Yeah, I thought about this, too. I just didn't think about that it may
> be different in different languages. But I couldn't tell for neither
> of those words what gender they do have, if any, so I thought, I can't
> break much with regards to genders.

I don't think this is much of an issue.

Another possible issue would be "elision" with articles (something we
have in French) but I don't think this is an issue with s/hobbit/xymon
for any language I know.

> > Besides this, I did not spot any further issue.
>
> Good. :-)

If Helge says so, I believe him. I won't even check. Full trust..:)

> > > b) tell me if I should write to these persons directly for a new Tamil
> > >    translation or if I should use podebconf-report-po. (I though fear
> > >    that podebconf-report-po sends mails to more than the addresses
> > >    listed below which IMHO would cause unnecessary confusion.)
> > >
> > >    Last-Translator: Dr.T.Vasudevan <agnihot3@gmail.com>
> > >    Language-Team: TAMIL <ubuntu-l10n-tam@lists.ubuntu.com>
> >
> > I strongly suggest you do so.
>
> Ok, will wait for some more answers and do so if I don't get any
> different opinion.

You can certainly send a mail to Tirumurti Vasudevan (that's his full
name) but I'm not sure you'll get an answer so, don't wait for it to
upload.

Thanks for your care, Axel. Promise made, I won't throw a full
caquelon of fondue on your head at next Debconf....