Re: Exploring the possibility of an l10n upload of xfonts-traditional to fix pending po-debconf l10n bugs (and debconf templates changes)

Christian PERRIER writes ("Re: Exploring the possibility of an l10n upload of xfonts-traditional to fix pending po-debconf l10n bugs (and debconf templates changes)"):
> Quoting Ian Jackson (ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk):
> > If I wish to take some but not all of the changes suggested by the
> > English l10n review, what is the deadline by which I should make and
> > upload those changes to avoid disrupting translations ?
>
> Sigh. I thought we had converged about the English texts, at least for
> the debconf templates.

I'm afraid I haven't looked closely at the final version you've based
the English versions on.

> So, I based the call for translations on the
> texts of templates which is the final one in the review bug report.
>
> So, if *for debconf templates*, you take only some changes, I suggest
> to:
>
> - update the *.templates file as you would like them to be
> - pick the PO files *as they are* in my final summary in the review
> bug report
> - run debconf-updatepo. That will resync translations with English
> texts

Right.

> - check what changed in the translations. If some English texts
> changed from the texts they were based on, you should see "fuzzy" or
> "untranslated string".
>   cd debian/po
>   for i in *po; do msgfmt -o /dev/null --statistics $i ; done

I don't intend to make any semantic changes to the English text that
would require retranslation.  So this will not be necessary.

> Of course, if things you want to cherrypick are in debian/control
> only, they don't affect translations and you should just pick PO files
> from my summary mail (better doing that than grabbing them from
> translation bug reports as I reformat all PO files
> consistently)....and don't need to issue a call for translation updates

I'm sorry to be awkward and I intend to avoid the need for translators
to do additional work.

Thanks,
Ian.