Re: Use of UTF-8 triple points … instead of "..."

Quoting Martin Eberhard Schauer (Martin.E.Schauer@gmx.de):
> Hi,
>
> I was asked to use "…" (an UTF-8 character, German shortcut
> <ALT GR>+<.>) instead of three single points in my translations.
>
> Is it safe to do so nowadays? Are there reasons not to do so?

I would say "as safe as using any other UTF-8 character that has no
equivalent in ISO-8859-1 (for German)". Users who have systems
configured to use ISO-dinosaur will have trouble displaying such texts.

But, in short, we're now deep in 21st century....:-)

And the Debian Policy requires that files such as changelog and
control files, that may contain non ASCII characters, use UTF-8
encoding. So, using UTF-8 characters in packages descriptions
translations (or any other translation) is IMHO fine.

Still, in French translation, I think I'll stick with standard ASCII
ellipsis...but more because of old habits.