Re: DDTP translations for lenny but not for squeeze/sid?

[Ahh, I should have read my mailbox before browsing list archive ... :-)]

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 11:45:42AM +0100, Michael Bramer wrote:
>> This page does not show any previous translation (and thus I abandoned).
>> Is it possible that previous translations are simply forgotten?
>
> no.
>
> In the english Version we only have now 1 part (a combination of the
> old 2 parts).
>
> If you look at the bottom of
>
>       http://ddtp.debian.net/ddtss/index.cgi/fr/translate/bind9
>
> in the 'Information about previous translation' section, you will find
> the old translation and you can combine it to the new one...

Cool - I overlooked this.  Thanks for the clarification.

>> The background of my question is, that the translations are used on the
>> Blends tasks pages and I simply wonder if it makes sense to fall back to
>> the old Lenny description translation or if this is a bad idea and I
>> should rather display no translation.
>
> Make the real translation and all is fine.

OK and sorry for the noise.

However, I'm wondering what you would consider the correct way to handle
this on the tasks pages for Blends.  Here are some options:

  1. No translation (which automatically creates a button which
     asks for translation and links to the URL above).  This would
     be the most simple solution for me because it is "just implemented
     in my rewritten code (but is different to my old code which is
     why I detected the problem).
     In this case I would really like to add a wishlist bug to the
     ddtss server:  Please use
         <see below information about previous translation>
     if there is any such stuff instead of just
         <trans>
     I'm afraid that more people like me - especially if they are newcomers
     which I want to attract - will not notice the stuff below.

  2. Fetch the "latest" translation I can find in UDD which is in so
     far better because users at least get an impression about the package
     (the document is not about any specific package version - so it is
     not really wrong usually).  In this case a not so visible "Fix
     package translation" link will show up and will probably not attract
     translators.

  3. I could ask you for injecting also those translations which are
     outdated into the UDD export to gain for some completeness - but
     that's probably the worst solution because it requires wokr on
     your and my side with a questionable result.

What do you think?

Kind regards

      Andreas.

--