Re: DDTP translations for lenny but not for squeeze/sid?

On 01/13/2011 10:22 AM, Andreas Tille wrote:
Hi,

Hi Andreas

I stumbled about a possible problem when checking DDTP translations for bind9.  I
noticed that in Lenny there are translations for the bind9 package but they are
not in Sid (and also not Squeeze).  I grepped a copy of the translations which
I use to import into UDD:

tille@localhost:/org/udd.debian.org/mirrors/ddtp/lenny$ zgrep bind9 Translation-fr.gz
Package: bind9
Package: bind9-doc
Package: bind9-host
Package: bind9utils
tille@localhost:/org/udd.debian.org/mirrors/ddtp/sid$ zgrep bind9 Translation-fr.gz
Package: bind9-doc
Package: bind9-host
Package: bind9utils

This is right.

see http://ddtp.debian.net/ddt.cgi?package=bind9 :

The english description was changed at in sid
- 2009-12-18
- 2010-12-06

After importing these data into UDD this results in

udd=# SELECT package, distribution, release, component, version, language, description from ddtp where package = 'bind9' and language = 'fr' ;
  package | distribution | release | component |          version           | language |             description
---------+--------------+---------+-----------+----------------------------+----------+--------------------------------------
  bind9   | debian       | lenny   | main      | 1:9.6.ESV.R1+dfsg-0+lenny2 | fr       | Serveur de noms de domaines internet

udd=# SELECT DISTINCT package, distribution, release, component, version from packages where package = 'bind9' ;
  package | distribution |        release         | component |          version
---------+--------------+------------------------+-----------+----------------------------
  bind9   | debian       | lenny                  | main      | 1:9.6.ESV.R1+dfsg-0+lenny2
  bind9   | debian       | lenny-proposed-updates | main      | 1:9.6.ESV.R3+dfsg-0+lenny1
  bind9   | debian       | sid                    | main      | 1:9.7.2.dfsg.P3-1
  bind9   | debian       | squeeze                | main      | 1:9.7.2.dfsg.P3-1

so we only have French a translation for bind9 in release=lenny but we
do not have any other releases.

ack

Finally I tried to attempt translating the bind9 description into French
(sorry, I really can't do this) and visited

    http://ddtp.debian.net/ddtss/index.cgi/fr/translate/bind9

This page does not show any previous translation (and thus I abandoned).
Is it possible that previous translations are simply forgotten?

no.

In the english Version we only have now 1 part (a combination of the
old 2 parts).

If you look at the bottom of

      http://ddtp.debian.net/ddtss/index.cgi/fr/translate/bind9

in the 'Information about previous translation' section, you will find
the old translation and you can combine it to the new one...

I have not (yet) done any systematical research whether this case might
happen regularly or if simply bind9 translations are broken.  I do not
even know if this is broken or actually intended and this is my
question: In case the DDTP translations for bind9 are intentionally
dropped what might be the criterion for this.

The background of my question is, that the translations are used on the
Blends tasks pages and I simply wonder if it makes sense to fall back to
the old Lenny description translation or if this is a bad idea and I
should rather display no translation.

Make the real translation and all is fine.

Gruss
Grisu