Re: Debian Policy 3.8.3.0 released: localized manpages

gregor herrmann <gregoa@debian.org> writes:

> An interesting question is how to detect outdated translated manpages;

According to ‘man-pages(7)’, the TH command in the man page should have
the date of the latest version of the document:

       The first command in a man page should be a TH command:

              .TH title section date source manual

       where:
[…]

              date      The date of the last revision — remember to
                        change this every time a change is made to the
                        man page, since this is the most  general way of
                        doing version control.
                        Dates should be written in the form YYYY-MM-DD.

I assume we expect man pages to conform to the conventions in
‘man-pages(7)’.

So surely the best way to tell if a translated page is out of date is to
compare these dates in the two documents, no?

--
 \      “An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be |
  `\                         made in a very narrow field.” —Niels Bohr |