Re: Debian Policy 3.8.3.0 released: localized manpages

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 15:22:26 +0200
gregor herrmann <gregoa@debian.org> wrote:

(forgot the CC: - I'm no longer subscribed btw.)

> > > As such, this "should" prevents *many* packages to meet 3.8.3 for
> > > Standards-Version. You may thus want to check things carefully..:)
>
> An interesting question is how to detect outdated translated
> manpages; if they are only half the size or miss some options in an
> item list it's simple but if the text is just outdated and/or wrong I
> fear I'll have some problems in several languages ...

Use po4a and PO files and simple gettext utilities like msgfmt will
tell you exactly how many strings are outdated (these gettext will
replace with the current English versions) and those that are missing
(again, English substituted). Just as how gettext works for binaries.

145 strings translated, 43 fuzzy 12 missing
etc.

Using PO also makes it easier to detect problems with the final
manpages as well as from the source package - just grep for a component
of an English string introduced in the most recent update.

po4a and gettext ensure that you don't have completely missing sections
or outdated content like missing or obsolete command line options - if
the strings are not up to date, English is always used to fill the
gaps. It leads to mixed manpages, yes, but some English paragraphs is
better than either the outdated translation or a gap.

--

Neil Williams