Re: Debian Policy 3.8.3.0 released: localized manpages

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 01:01:34PM +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> gregor herrmann <gregoa@debian.org> writes:
>
> > An interesting question is how to detect outdated translated manpages;
>
> According to ‘man-pages(7)’, the TH command in the man page should have
> the date of the latest version of the document:
>
>        The first command in a man page should be a TH command:
>
>               .TH title section date source manual
>
>        where:
> […]
>
>               date      The date of the last revision — remember to
>                         change this every time a change is made to the
>                         man page, since this is the most  general way of
>                         doing version control.
>                         Dates should be written in the form YYYY-MM-DD.
>
> I assume we expect man pages to conform to the conventions in
> ‘man-pages(7)’.

I'm not sure we can have that expectation.  If you look at groff_man(7),
it specifies:

  .TH title section [extra1] [extra2] [extra3]

and details how the extra bits are positioned, but no more.  While the
man-pages conventions IIRC are also seen in some GNU and UNIX manual
pages, things like the date *format* appear to be man-pages-specific.

I, for example, use the date format '+%d %b %Y' (01 Aug 2009).  The
manual pages are human readable documentation.  I think that nicely
readable dates should be preferred here.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh