Re: release notes building time ...

	Hi!

* W. Martin Borgert <debacle@debian.org> [2009-02-10 13:21:35 CET]:
> Zitat von "Gerfried Fuchs" <rhonda@deb.at>:
> > Again I feel the need to raise my voice about the building time of the
> >release notes. I just had to kill it once again because it was running
> >_way_ too long. I am thinking of moving the release note building from
> >the often cronjob (every four hours) to once a day to avoid not being
> >able to not have the rest of the site delayed because of a still running
> >build.

 Alright, this is getting ridiculous. Did anyone actually try the build
on an etch system before it was dumped on us? What times did it take? It
is now building since over 8 hours and still not finished.

> My impression is, that the time is mostly spend in po4a-translate.

 My impression is that the time is currently spent in trying to get

#v+
debwww@klecker:~$ ps -u debwww fu
USER       PID %CPU %MEM    VSZ   RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME COMMAND
[....]
debwww    5415  0.0  0.0   4468  2136 ?        S    07:08   0:00 xsltproc --xinclude -o /tmp/tmpkekuRz/listings.xml --param current.dir '/org/www.debian.org/release-notes/len
debwww@klecker:~$ strace -p 5415
Process 5415 attached - interrupt to quit
select(7, [6], NULL, NULL, {21, 781777}^C <unfinished ...>
Process 5415 detached
debwww@klecker:~$ cd /proc/5415/fd
debwww@klecker:/proc/5415/fd$ ls -lh 6
lrwx------ 1 debwww debwww 64 2009-02-11 07:10 6 -> socket:[19255815]
debwww@klecker:/proc/5415/fd$ lsof -n | grep 19255815
xsltproc   5415      debwww    6u     IPv4 19255815               TCP 194.109.137.218:40450->66.151.234.59:www (ESTABLISHED)
debwww@klecker:/proc/5415/fd$
#v-

 I've noticed the same thing several times, and it hangs in that state
for quite a bit. The question is: Why does it (need to) query external
websites?

> AFAIK, the release-notes are not the only ones using po4a. So I
> wonder: What are we doing wrong, that the release notes take so
> long? (Maybe my impression is wrong and po4a is not the "culprit",
> I can't do any tests before 20:00 UTC.)

 I would like to know wether someone really tried it and what their
timing for stuff is. And why the build (has to) query external websites.

* W. Martin Borgert <debacle@debian.org> [2009-02-10 21:00:35 CET]:
> Btw: Is there anything between every 4 hours and every 24 hours?
> How about e.g. every 12 hours?

 I don't think that this will improve the situation, at all, sorry, and
that there is a real need for it. The build process does look too
problematic to me.

 I don't kill the current running process to actually see how long it
will really need - but I fear that we will have to switch to manual
triggerd building instead of having it in cron at all. The current
situation is far from pleasing, to say the least.

 So long,
Rhonda