Re: Help about localization packages

Christian Perrier wrote:
> Quoting Vincent Danjean (vdanjean.ml@free.fr):
>> Ok. Many thank for all your information.
>> So, unless collision, I keep only the two letters in the debian package name.
>> The exceptions for now are:
>> - es-es
>> - es-ve
>
> I don't agree with those. From what I heard of Spanish speakers in
> Debian, they are perfectly able to get a consensus about written
> Spanish to avoid splitting translations between es_ES and the various
> Latin American countries.
>
> Also, what about es_AR, es_CL, etc?
>
> I would therefore suggest having one of the two labelleed as "es" and
> the other one kept as is.

I will then keep es and es-ve. It seems more logical to me. I will however
check that es_ES does not have less translations than es_VE : I just see that
lots of translations are not up-to-date.

>> - zh-cn
>> - zh-tw
>> For the language name, in the package description, I only talk about the
>> language itself with few exception where the country is also stated.
>> These exceptions are the same as before:
>> Spanish (Spain), Spanish (Venezuela), Chinese (China), and Chinese (Taiwan)
>
> zh_CN is more usually called "Simplified Chinese" and zh_TW is
> "Traditional Chinese". Arne can give more input on this.

Ok, I will change that.

>> and two more exceptions: Bokmaal (Norway) and Nynorsk (Norway) as it is
>> difficult to guess the country from the language name (but perhaps, I'm too
>
> Call them "Norwegian Bokmål" and "Norwegian Nynorsk". They are the
> names in ISO-639

Just to be sure: is UTF-8 allowed in the Description field ?

  Best regards,
    Vincent

--
Vincent Danjean       GPG key ID 0x9D025E87         vdanjean@debian.org
GPG key fingerprint: FC95 08A6 854D DB48 4B9A  8A94 0BF7 7867 9D02 5E87