Re: "Update-Manager" and "Update-Notifier" translation

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 14:33:53 +0200
Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org> wrote:
> I would *not* recommend doing s/Ubuntu/Debian, particularly in
> translated strings. There are cases where changing the distro name may
> change the translation.

 Yes, we should not do such thing.

 And I have a question as same as Javier says about update-notifier.
 Why are many po files dropped from update-manager/notifier source?
 In Launchpad, po files is updated. We should use (and merge) it.

 And I think we may try to remove hard-coded strings from po, and make it
 handle in other ways. If we will not such thing, users will be confuse...
 such as "Um? I use Debian, but Update manager program says "Canonical
 (or Ubuntu) don't support this package"... why? I made any mistake??"...
 that's not good for both, Debian and Ubuntu.

 I'm not an expert for python, so how should I handle with this problem.
 Sorry.

--
Regards,

 Hideki Yamane     henrich @ debian.or.jp/iijmio-mail.jp