Re: An idea of a web portal:

On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 19:40 +0100, Miguel Figueiredo wrote:
> A Thursday 03 July 2008 19:03:58, Neil Williams escreveu:
> > On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 08:30 +0200, SZERVÁC Attila wrote:
> > > where users
> > >
> > >  - find translation requests
> > >  - download po files
> > >  - upload po files w/ a <form>, which automatically creates bug report
> >
> > Such mechanisms are being developed (and some are available for testing)
> > but the full implementation needs to wait until after Lenny is released.
> > The plan is:
> >
> > 1. Visit a website to translate small numbers of strings or complete PO
> > files.
>
> [...]
>
> Just a personal POV from a translator/reviewer:
>
> - for content consistency I prefer complete files/packages instead of random
> messages.

That is supported but the system also supports program translations, not
just debconf templates so the number of messages can be large.

> - for copyright/history/traceability I think different messages from different
> contributors should not be mixed in the same version of a file.

That is already achieved - if the translator chooses to just translate a
few messages, the translator chooses which package to update and is only
offered strings for that package. (Didn't include that bit first time,
sorry.)

Throwing random strings at a translator from multiple packages is not
worth doing for lots of reasons.

--

Neil Williams