Re: Reminder for xorg translations

On 18/06/2008, at 2:01 AM, Christian Perrier wrote:

Quoting Clytie Siddall (clytie@riverland.net.au):

I love it: "are you done translating?"

Xorg maintainers, are you done changing original strings? :D

Well, to be fair, they changed the strings only once or twice between
etch and lenny and they removed a *lot* of old stuff which is now
handled directly by new X features.

And, in the cas of this last minute change, they coordinated this with
me by first asking about the best way to do the change (which is
basically removing a sentence). They also asked about the less
invasive possible change to make *our* life easier.

I considered trying to update translations myself, by manually
rmeoving the offending sentence from translations. That would be
doable at least for Latin-based languages for which some rough
knowledge is enough to identify where is the offending sentence.

That's of course impossible for languages where I can't identify
sentences (some of them not even having the concept of "sentence").

So, indeed, I really don't blame xorg maintainers. They did their best
but the change was really mandatory.

It's OK, I was just grabbing the opportunity to be frivolous. :)

It can be useful with less-aware maintainers, though, to point out that the timing of our tasks is dependent on theirs.

from Clytie

Vietnamese Free Software Translation Team
http://vnoss.net/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=projects:l10n