Re: [DDTP] French encoding?

On Sun, Jul 22, 2007 at 07:03:10PM +0200, Michael Bramer wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 22, 2007 at 04:21:23PM +0200, Nicolas Bertolissio wrote:
> > Etch fully supports UTF-8, why DDTP does not use this encoding by

There are still applications in Etch which do not fully support UTF-8.

> > defaut? are we going to provide non UTF-8 descriptions with Lenny?
>
> Jens ask for a change for german.

No, you misunderstood me. Currently, if I request a new untranslated
package description via email I get:

Description-de: [latin1 encoded description]

I asked you to send

Description-de.UTF-8: [utf-8 encoded description]

if and only if the user didn't specified an encoding (or utf-8).

If the DDTP recieves a new translation containing

Description-de:

it should still assume latin1. Reason for the latter is mainly to be
compatible with the old behaviour.

You are free to interpret such message as UTF-8 only if:
 * you announce it everywhere (status.txt in DDTP mails, on this list,
   in the docu) already a few week before
 * the encoding check works well

You could nevertheless just reject messages without explicit encoding ...

Jens