Re: How does the translation statistics evolve with time?

On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 01:52:53PM +0100, Jens Seidel wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 01:33:39PM +0100, Nicolas François wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 12:57:37PM +0100, Jens Seidel wrote:
> > > Some questions:
> > > http://i18n.debian.net/~nekral/dl10n-rrd/unstable/po-fr.png
> > > lists ca. 85% translated and the remaining part is marked "no po".
> > > What does this mean?
> > >
> > The graph indicates that most French POs are fully translated (there are
> > translated), but some packages (ca. 15%) do not have a French PO (i.e.
> > there is a POT file in that package, maybe some PO files for other
> > languages, but no associated fr.po files).
>
> Ah, OK. Now I understand. Could you please add a little explanation to
> the top level page? Please link also to main.html, ...

I will add something explaining the colors.

> Please explain why po-de.png lists 400000 strings in total, whereas
> po-fr.png lists 440000 strings. Since you count also untranslated files
> they should be equal, right?

Is a bug a valid explanation?
Thanks for noticing.

In fact, for the French POs, there are:
382505.000000
348035 translated strings, 19393 fuzzy strings and 37234 untranslated
strings.

Also, there is a total of 382505 strings in the POT files, which means
-22157 strings in the "no po" category, and thus overlap the blue and red
areas.

This may be caused by removed POT files, or old fr.po files with more
strings than in the POT file, or duplicated French PO files. I will try to
find out.
This probably only affect the po family (i.e. not the po4a and
podebconf; which are more under control).

If I can't find out, I will remove the "no po" category for the PO family.

> > The po category sums all strings from any PO (po4a, podebconf or po for
> > binaries).
>
> OK.
> What is the relation to the pseudo URL stuff you referred to? Do you
> respect translations in the BTS only if the subject is properly choosen
> or not at all?

I don't really know, but I think so.
I'm using the status.$lang files updated by dl10n-spider, which browse the
mailing list. So it is only valid for the translation teams which use the
pseudo-URLs and assume the subject of the mails are correct and that the
PO files are really sent to the BTS/maintainers.

unstableBTS should thus differ from unstable only for the following
languages: ar, ca, de, es, fr, nl, pt, pt_BR, tr

> Do you want to create links from http://www.debian.org/international/?

If somebody wants to do it, I think it would be a better place.
(I don't think I've commit access to the web pages).

--
Nekral