Re: [D-I] dpkg master branch for i18n switched to git

Thanks very much to Holger, MJ and Stefano for their helpful replies. :)
On 02/09/2007, at 6:28 PM, Holger Levsen wrote:

On Sunday 02 September 2007 08:32, Clytie Siddall wrote:
Pearl:~/Vietnamese/Main Projects/Debian/DebianL5/dpkg clytie$ git-
clone git+ssh://git.debian.org/git/dpkg/dpkg

That command on etch works for me.

Can you ssh into git.debian.org from the shell?

I was about to do that, but thought I should read the rest of the thread first, so...

Then MJ said:

Clytie Siddall <clytie@riverland.net.au> wrote: [...]

ssh: connect to host git.debian.org port 22: Operation timed out

Debug: what does "ssh -v git.debian.org" report for you?

I put this on my todo-after-reading the thread, too.

It used to be so simple: I have SVN embedded in my translation editor
[2] AND my file manager [3]. Now I have to go back to email
submissions for dpkg.

The SVN support for LocFactoryEditor seems to be a script.  It should
be easy to copy and write a script for git, once you have it working.

True.

I don't understand PathFinder's support.  Linux users could even
mount gitfs: http://www.sfgoth.com/~mitch/linux/gitfs/

PathFinder is a file manager. One of its services, available via any pane you choose, is SVN. So I have one pane of PathFinder running SVN: it has buttons for the main SVN commands, plus an interactive option, and displays the output. It's a bit quicker than using the shell, which adds up when you're updating a lot of individual files.

Are other people successfully checking out (cloning) dpkg via SSH?

clone != checkout.  Clone is more like download, then checkout.  git
splits the downloading and the checking out.

Hope that helps,

Yes, it does. It takes me a while nowadays to get my head around anything new, but I should be able to do it, in bits.

And then Stefano said:

Clytie,
check your user. I'm quite sure Christian username on alioth/git/ svn is
bubulle and on his machine too, I'm sc-guest on alioth and sc on my
machine. ssh send my username to alioth and it's wrong. Try: git-clone
git+ssh://clytie-guest@git.debian.org/git/dpkg/dpkg dpkg

and he was spot on! I did need to specify a different username, which didn't occur to me because I'm not used to git. I do it in SVN checkouts, so it should have occurred to me.

So I now have dpkg cloned via git. :D

Thankyou to all three of you. It really helps to have support like this on the list. :)

Now, to step 2: how to commit changes. I have a sneaky feeling, from reading the SVN-to-Git guide to which Kartik so kindly referred, that you not only have to "commit" your changes, but also "push" them afterwards. I think there might be a hook script to do this.

I will always be simply updating the directory, editing the file then committing/pushing my changes, so something that does the commit/push part in one step would be useful.