Re: Please translate hex-a-hop -- a funny game

Hello Clytie,
I'll try to answer some of the questions, as I did the translation to
German. Please note though, that I am not always as sure, but I played
quite a bit.

On Thu, Aug 16, 2007 at 05:22:06PM +0930, Clytie Siddall wrote:
> On 16/08/2007, at 2:03 AM, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> >Since the manual pages shares quite a few strings with the po file (in
> >fact, almost all) I think you should consider translating it along
> >(little effort only). Also, it would be nice if you could provide the
> >string: "Puzzle game based on hexagonal tiles" along with your
> >translation (and your two letter language code) so that the desktop
> >file can be updated as well.
>
> Please provide the manpage in PO format for translation (via the po4a
> package). :)

If this is not a priority for Jens or Miriam, I'll have a look in the
next days and provide a patch.

> 1.
> #: hex_puzzzle.cpp:1612
> #, c-format
> msgid "Complete 1  more level  to unlock!"
>
> #: hex_puzzzle.cpp:1614
> #, c-format
> msgid "Complete %d  more levels  to unlock!"
>
> There is a double space after the number. Does that, as mentioned by
> the translator notes in the header, mean there is an implied line-
> break there? If so, do we need to include it?

As Jens now included an automatic (though still not perfect) line break
meachnism, theses spaces can be ignored. In fact, I did it for most
German strings as well (though back then I did not know their meaning).
It would be great if you could run through the help once to see if the
line breaks are sensible, especially since this automatic feature is
quite new.

> 2.
> #: hex_puzzzle.cpp:2662
> #, c-format
> msgid "Par:   %d"
>
> #: hex_puzzzle.cpp:2663
> #, c-format
> msgid "Diff:  %d"
>
> What do "Par" and "Diff" mean in this context?

Well, Par means (as in golf) the values someone set as standard. Here
it seems that the author tried to play as good as he could and then
called that "par". Diff means the difference between your actual score
and the par.

> 4.
> #: hex_puzzzle.cpp:2737
> #, c-format
> msgid "Best:% 3d"
>
> Should there be a space after the colon? Should the percentage sign
> be part of the placeholder?

I was told this is a protected space, so yes, consider this a space.

> 6.
> #: menus.h:87
> msgid ""
> "Basic controls:|Move around with the keys Q,W,E,A,S,D or the numeric  "
> "keypad. Alternatively, you can use the mouse and  click on the tile
> you'd "
> "like to move to.    Use 'U', backspace or the right mouse button to
> undo "
> "mistakes.    The 'Esc' key (or middle mouse button) brings up a
> menu from "
> "which you can restart if you get stuck."
>
> What is the function of the pipe symbol after "Basic controls:"? It
> also appears in other strings.

I copied the pipe symbol and the angle brackets verbatim, hopefully
either Jens or Miriam can explain their deeper meaning.

> 7.
> #: menus.h:133
> msgid ""
> "New feature unlocked!|Each level has an efficiency target for you to
> try  "
> "and beat.    Every move you make and each non-green tile  you
> destroy counts "
> "against you.    Why not try replaying some levels and going  for gold?"
>

> Do you mean "going for gold" literally, in that the player must
> achieve a gold target, or amass some gold, or is this figurative
> (Olympic Games imagery), in that the player aims for the best
> possible score?

If you did not complete a level, it is depicted as black ball. If you
completed it, but did not reach the "par" (see above), it is depicted
as silver ball. If you reached the par, this ball turns gold. If you
beat the par (i.e. are better than the author thought), the golden
ball gets a crown. Thus in this string the player is asked to replay
some levels to reach (or surpass) the "par".

> 9.
> #: level_list.h:78
> msgid "  Revolver  Cannon"
>
> This is a contradiction in terms. A revolver is a hand-gun, while a
> cannon is way too big to carry. Do you mean "revolving cannon"?
>

> 10.
> #: level_list.h:96
> msgid "  Deslippify"
>
> This is not an English word (however much fun it may be for native
> English speakers), so it makes life difficult for translators. Please
> use msgctxt to explain that it means "Make less slippery" or "Improve
> grip", or use actual English words in the msgid string.

These are level names, which should give (in a humerous way) the
player an indication about this level. If you'd like I can have a look
at the levels. For "deslippify" I can give you the following
explanation: There is a special kind of pickup, which will turn ice
plates into "normal" plates (you won't slip on them). So I would think
it is more related to "Make less slippery". Hence if you know a funny
term explaining this in vi, then use this ...

> I have finished the translation, apart from these queries, so I would
> like to resolve them and submit the translation. :)

Wonderful!

Greetings

            Helge