Re: Please translate hex-a-hop -- a funny game

Hi!

Thanks a lot for your comments, Clytie!!

2007/8/16, Clytie Siddall <clytie@riverland.net.au>:
Please provide the manpage in PO format for translation (via the po4a
package). :)

I have some questions about the hex-a-hop strings, which I am
currently trying to translate:

1.
#: hex_puzzzle.cpp:1612
#, c-format
msgid "Complete 1  more level  to unlock!"

#: hex_puzzzle.cpp:1614
#, c-format
msgid "Complete %d  more levels  to unlock!"

There is a double space after the number. Does that, as mentioned by
the translator notes in the header, mean there is an implied line-
break there? If so, do we need to include it?

I don't think there should be a break there, but I'll check it just in case.

2.
#: hex_puzzzle.cpp:2662
#, c-format
msgid "Par:   %d"

#: hex_puzzzle.cpp:2663
#, c-format
msgid "Diff:  %d"

What do "Par" and "Diff" mean in this context?

I suggest using the msgctxt feature to supply contextual information.

I'm not exactly sure on how msgctxt works, is there a URL I can read on it? It might be useful to know when translating other games later.

3.
There are several strings which are identical except for a single
space at the beginning. Do we really need to translate them again, or
is there a better way to handle this situation?

For example:

#: hex_puzzzle.cpp:2659
#, c-format
msgid "Anti-Ice: %d"

#: hex_puzzzle.cpp:2669
#, c-format
msgid " Anti-Ice: %d"

Yup, I'll look into that, there's no sense in dupplicating translator efforts.

4.
#: hex_puzzzle.cpp:2737
#, c-format
msgid "Best:% 3d"

Should there be a space after the colon? Should the percentage sign
be part of the placeholder?

We've already talked about this in a mailing list, and "% 3d" is supposed to be correct. I have no clue on what the differece with " %3d" would be, anyway. Maybe in the negative numbers.

5.
#: hex_puzzzle.cpp:2905
#, c-format
msgid "Special(%d,%d): %s (%d)"

Should there be a space after the word "Special"?

I guess that would probably be OK.

6.
#: menus.h:87
msgid ""
"Basic controls:|Move around with the keys Q,W,E,A,S,D or the numeric  "
"keypad. Alternatively, you can use the mouse and  click on the tile
you'd "
"like to move to.    Use 'U', backspace or the right mouse button to
undo "
"mistakes.    The 'Esc' key (or middle mouse button) brings up a
menu from "
"which you can restart if you get stuck."

What is the function of the pipe symbol after "Basic controls:"? It
also appears in other strings.

7.
#: menus.h:133
msgid ""
"New feature unlocked!|Each level has an efficiency target for you to
try  "
"and beat.    Every move you make and each non-green tile  you
destroy counts "
"against you.    Why not try replaying some levels and going  for gold?"

Do you mean "going for gold" literally, in that the player must
achieve a gold target, or amass some gold, or is this figurative
(Olympic Games imagery), in that the player aims for the best
possible score?

I think it's just figurative, like getting the highest record.

8.
#: menus.h:660
msgid "<Design & Direction:"

What does the < sign signify in this context?  (Appears in several
other Credits strings.)

Yup, there's also some strings closing it ">" in the credits texts. I wasn't sure if I should let it there and let translators play with it in case they needed, or remove it and put it hardcoded in the program. What do you think?

9.
#: level_list.h:78
msgid "  Revolver  Cannon"

This is a contradiction in terms. A revolver is a hand-gun, while a
cannon is way too big to carry. Do you mean "revolving cannon"?

That's one of the level names, isn't it? I can ask upstream that, I guess.

10.
#: level_list.h:96
msgid "  Deslippify"

This is not an English word (however much fun it may be for native
English speakers), so it makes life difficult for translators. Please
use msgctxt to explain that it means "Make less slippery" or "Improve
grip", or use actual English words in the msgid string.

I guess that's another level name. I'm not native English-speaker myself so I'm as clueless about this as you are. I can ask upstream.

I have finished the translation, apart from these queries, so I would
like to resolve them and submit the translation. :)

Thanks a lot! I'll try to solve all of that ASAP :)

Miry