Re: Copyright headers in po-debconf

On 13-08-2007 12:57, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Felipe Augusto van de Wiel:
>> # debsecan Brazilian Portuguese translation
>> # Copyright (c) 2006-2007 debsecan's PACKAGE COPYRIGHT HOLDER
>> # This file is distributed under the same license as the debsecan package.
>> # Herbert Parentes Fortes Neto (hpfn) <listasdebian@terra.com.br>, 2006.
>> # Eder L. Marques <frolic@debian-ce.org>, 2007.
>
> I think this should read:
> # Copyright (c) 2006-2007 Florian Weimer
> # Copyright (c) 2006, Herbert Parentes Fortes Neto (hpfn) <listasdebian@terra.com.br>
> # Copyright (c) 2007, Eder L. Marques <frolic@debian-ce.org>
> # This file is distributed under the same license as the debsecan package.
>
> IOW, three copyright holders, one licensing statement.

	Ok, this is similar of my understanding and our practice, we
don't use your name because as I said, the template doesn't bring
carry this info, so we usually assign it to the Package Maintainer,
the other difference is that we don't write the Copyright statements
(in fact the "Copyright (c)" at the beginning of the line), much
because it is perceived as a derived work and the credits are given.

	Either way is fine by me, Eder, could you please change your
header and re-submit the PO to #437632?

> The FSF recommendation seems to be:
> # Copyright (c) 2006-2007 Florian Weimer
> # This file is distributed under the same license as the debsecan package.
> #
> # Translators:
> # Herbert Parentes Fortes Neto (hpfn) <listasdebian@terra.com.br>, 2006.
> # Eder L. Marques <frolic@debian-ce.org>, 2007.
>
> But this seems wrong to me because the translators create a derived
> work and get their own copyright.

	Yes, I would understand the above as "main copyright" to
Florian Weimer and derived work (translation) to Herbert and Eder,
this discussion is specially important because we want to have a
common format to all po-debconf (and PO related) inside Debian.

	Two models would make it a bigger effort, probably there
are some legal implications in not listing the "Copyright (c)"
in the line with translators name, if it would be better to
change that format to add the Copyright and if this don't bring
any extra problems for other packages, copyright holders, it is
fine by me. :-)

	Thanks for your suggestion.
	Kind regards,
- --