Copyright headers in po-debconf (was: Re: Bug#437632: debsecan: [INTL:pt_BR] Brazilian Portuguese debconf templates translation)
- To: Florian Weimer <email@example.com>
- Cc: "Eder L. Marques" <firstname.lastname@example.org>, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- Subject: Copyright headers in po-debconf (was: Re: Bug#437632: debsecan: [INTL:pt_BR] Brazilian Portuguese debconf templates translation)
- From: "Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw)" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 12:09:35 -0300
- Message-id: <[🔎] 46C0742F.email@example.com>
- In-reply-to: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- References: <46A2DD05.email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <46A790E2.email@example.com> <46B13BC6.firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <46B1F6DC.firstname.lastname@example.org> <46B69A61.email@example.com> <46B7DB59.firstname.lastname@example.org> <46BA93DD.email@example.com> <46C04D5A.firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
On 13-08-2007 09:57, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Eder L. Marques:
>> Attached you will find debsecan_0.4.9-pt_BR.po.gz, it is update.
> Would you please correct the copyright statement at the beginning of
> the file? I'm not sure who should be listed there. IIRC, the FSF
> suggests to list the original copyright owner, but over here,
> translators create a derived work and acquire copyright on their own,
The header has:
# debsecan Brazilian Portuguese translation
# Copyright (c) 2006-2007 debsecan's PACKAGE COPYRIGHT HOLDER
# This file is distributed under the same license as the debsecan package.
# Herbert Parentes Fortes Neto (hpfn) <firstname.lastname@example.org>, 2006.
# Eder L. Marques <email@example.com>, 2007.
The copyright is attributed to the package copyright holder.
Usually maintainers generate the POT file without any information,
and debsecan is not different:
# SOME DESCRIPTIVE TITLE.
# Copyright (C) YEAR THE PACKAGE'S COPYRIGHT HOLDER
# This file is distributed under the same license as the PACKAGE package.
# FIRST AUTHOR <EMAIL@ADDRESS>, YEAR.
So, we follow Debian i18n recommendation, keeping the Copyright
to the Package Maintainer (usually po-debconf were created by them) and
just list the translators as a historical reference (in some countries
translations are also copyrighted).
So, could you please be much clearer about what would you like
to see written on the translated file? Because if you are unsure about
who should be listed there, I'm unsure about who we will ask this
> (My personal goal for lenny is to include properly licensed
> translations only.)
So is Debian i18n.
Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw)
"Debian. Freedom to code. Code to freedom!"
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----