Re: Translators and changes in DDTSS

On Thu, Jul 05, 2007 at 08:09:18PM -0300, Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw) wrote:
> On 07/04/2007 04:46 PM, Jens Seidel wrote:
> > Who cares about the Copyright?
>
> 	A lot of people that contributes care about their copyright.

Yes, I would also like to know how many descriptions I translated but
not for legal issues. Who owns the copyright if 20 other persons touched
the translation and completely rewrote the original description? As far
as I know I would not a Copyright holder in this case.

> > Isn't the license the important info?
>
> 	Both.
>
> > In this case a hint that translations will be considered as GPL
> > licensed would help, right?
>
> 	No. As already said, maintainers could license their work
> under BSD-2-clause. We should encourage the general understanding
> that translations are a derived work so the translator also is
> contributing under the same license of the copyright owner. (But
> still, there is a translation copyright).

A derived work is not always restricted to the same license, right?
This is true for GPL and LGPL but couldn't even a (DFSG free) license
force that derived work is distributed under a different license
(project X licensed under the "X software license" could force a rename
of the project for derived work so that using the X software license
would be considered as a bad idea)?

At least I think that it is completely OK to use license B for derived
work of a project using license A. So we need to request the license
from the translator or explicitely specify it!?

> > Anonymous translations are really fine for me as long as I can improve
> > it and avoid that such persons overwrite important stuff ...
>
> 	Not for everybody. And anonymous translations can be
> dangerous because we don't know the origin, having a web
> interface easy to contribute but that keeps track of *who*
> is suggesting a change, seems to be the consensus since
> DebConf6.

I sometime hesitate to report a trivial bug if I need to register first.
It is sometimes a very complicated step (such as for Novell services,
they even request your (postal) address, and all services are closed
without an account).

Jens