Re: DDTP - please activate support for pt

On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 08:56:08AM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Quoting Miguel Figueiredo (elmig@debianpt.org):
> >   we are using pt as code for Portuguese (from Portugal) and files
> > named  "pt.po" in d-i, manual and debconf translation messages.
> >   I believe the subcodes _XX are used for variations of a language.
> >   Maybe someone can enlight us (me) on this...
>
> The point of using _XX "extensions" is only to handle "variations"
> that are large enough to motivate a duplicate translation effort.
>
> My opinion is that this should be restricted to the very minimum
> because the (wo)manpower we have in FLOSS l10n is low enough to do our
> best avoiding duplicate efforts.

Not necessarily. If both variations are sufficient similar it could also
be possible to automatically convert one into the other (and maybe to
apply *small* patches after this).

Isn't this the way how zh_TW and zh_CN web pages are created for
www.debian.org?

Jens