[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Remind/ask DDs to apply translation patches before release? (and ask for new translations at the same time)

Hi there,

I've been submitting some patches to the BTS for po-debconf translations into
Spanish which, for some reason of another, were stuck in our 'robot' and had
not been sent to the BTS.

I've been noticing, at the same time, that some popular packages have
translations that are sitting in the BTS and waiting for the maintainer to
upload them (or for somebody to make an NMU). Full list is of l10n bugs is:
(unfortunately, it's not easy to group by package or sort by popularity
without doing some perl-foo)

As we are on 'freeze' now and one of the things DDs *can* do during the
freeze is to upload new translations (or updates), shouldn't we ask the DDs,
maybe via -devel-announce to upload new translations? Before doing so they
should ask for new translations for their packages before they make such an upload.

That would reduce the number of uploads in the attempt to fix l10n-related
bugs,  as it would reduce the chances of DDs sending an update fixing l10n
bugs and receiving a new l10n bug shortly after.

We could also take the chance to ask DDs to make uploads to try to fix *all*
outstanding l10n-bugs before the release. Here's an ordered list of the first
10 packages with most open l10n bugs [1]

     26 aptitude       -- fixes or updates to program translations
     17 synaptic       -- fixes or updates to program translations
     11 eagle-usb      -- po-debconf
     10 openoffice.org -- problems with l10n support
     10 e2fsprogs      -- fixes or updates to program translations
      9 atlas3         -- po-debconf
      8 mpd            -- po-debconf
      8 man-db         -- l10n issues, some translation
      8 dak            -- po-debconf
      8 amavis-ng      -- po-debconf

There are 1274 l10n bugs (412 of these over a year old, ~800 with a patch) and
600 of the total follow the [INTL:xx] format so they are most probably
po-debconf translations which are waiting for inclusion.

I don't know about other teams, but I'm trying to get the Spanish team to do
some heavy translation work in po-debconf templates this Xmas with the freeze
in mind. It certainly is not much use if the po-debconf translations will be
sitting in the BTS and do not get applied until *after* the release.

Does anybody else feels like writing such a mail to d-d-a?



[1] Generated by doing something like this:

wget "http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?which=tag&data=l10n&archive=no&version=&dist=unstable&pend-inc=pending&pend-exc=pending-fixed&pend-exc=fixed&pend-exc=done&include=l10n"; -O - | \
grep "http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg="; | \
perl -ne 'print $1."\n" if /pkg=(.*?)\;/' | sort | uniq -c |sort -nr | head -10

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: Digital signature

Reply to: