Re: Double-spacing after a sentence

В Thu, 14 Dec 2006 14:27:07 +1030, Clytie Siddall написа:

> Double-spacing after a sentence in English is an old typographical
> convention.

Correct, but it is still used (and will be used forever, probably) in
editors like Emacs.  It is very convenient to move through the text
skipping whole sentences with one keybinding.  It also makes the text
easier to read.

> It is not necessary if you're not manipulating blocks of
> metal type.

Of course, this is not necessary in translations (and in strings in
general), where space is precious.  I guess that those appear in msgids as
a consequence of programmers' habit.