Re: The Debian Description Translation Project - how about a new approach?

On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 07:54:10PM +0100, Daniel Arnold wrote:
> Hi,

Hi,

I add debian-i18n@lists.debian.org as CC: maybe some other have
comments

> I just discovered the DDTP and was very surpised to see something like this as
> I have searched quite a lot for such projects in the past with zero result.

Oh, ddtp is a old project... But with some problemens in the past

> As I was often annoyed by current package descriptions of any distribution I
> personally did start a similar project in order to improve package
> descriptions (especially such geeky description stuff like "elinks is an
> improved version of links" isn't a real description) and in order to
> translate them (cause I want to search for "textverarbeitung" instead
> of "word processor" ;-).

I know this

> However my project has two fundamental differences:
> * It is distribution independent (originally when planning I had OpenSuse in
> mind) in order to improve the Linux desktop as a whole (I don't want to
> reinvent the wheel everytime ;-). However I am aware that this will require
> some fine tuning of certain customized packages within the individual
> distributions.

I think this is a problem. Maybe your texts are a good source, if
someone start a new package of some software. But in debian we have
some very littel packages and we need more descriptions. like:

  gimp - The GNU Image Manipulation Program
  gimp-cbmplugs - plugins for The GIMP to import/export Commodore 64 files
  gimp-data - Data files for The GIMP
  gimp-data-extras - An extra set of brushes, palettes, and gradients for The GIMP
  gimp-dbg - Debugging symbols for The GIMP
  gimp-dcraw - GIMP plug-in for loading RAW digital photos
  gimp-dimage-color - GIMP plugin to convert Minolta DiMAGE pictures to sRGB colour space
  gimp-gap - The GIMP Animation Package
  gimp-help-common - Data files for the GIMP documentation
  gimp-help-cs - Documentation for the GIMP (Czech)
  gimp-help-de - Documentation for the GIMP (German)
  gimp-help-en - Documentation for the GIMP (English)
  gimp-help-fr - Documentation for the GIMP (French)
  gimp-help-it - Documentation for the GIMP (Italian)
  gimp-help-nl - Documentation for the GIMP (Dutch)
  gimp-help-sv - Documentation for the GIMP (Swedish)
  gimp-help-zh-cn - Documentation for the GIMP (Chinese Simplified)
  gimp-helpbrowser - Built-in Help Browser plugin for The GIMP
  gimp-print - print plugin for the GIMP
  gimp-python - Python support and plugins for The GIMP
  gimp-resynthesizer - Gimp plugin for texture synthesis
  gimp-svg - SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) plugin for The GIMP
  gimp-texturize - generates large textures from a small sample
  gimp-ufraw - gimp importer for raw camera images
  libgimp-perl - Perl support and plugins for The GIMP
  gimp1.2 - Transitional dummy package for upgrading The GIMP

Debian don't have 'big' packages...

> * It has (or better will have) a very low entry barrier. No geeky, no
> registration whatever skills and no bureaucratic preparations are required.
> Thus the software of choice was MediaWiki. IMHO it is crucial to the success
> of multilingualism of software to make the entry barrier low as most people
> with a large range of language skills or people speaking a language not so
> common in the net will not be prohibited from contributing.

we have a web and a mail interface. I don't think, the entry barrier is to high.

> You can find the project at: http://pakanto.org
>
> Currently as I am not 100% done with my preparations previous to go public I
> have a temporarily htaccess auth:
>
> User: pakanto
> password: butterbrei

> Have a look at it. I'd be really interested in your feedback. Maybe you like
> the idea and we can find a way to join efforts (for example I'd be really
> interested in your experience and as well in importing all the existing
> descriptions from all distributions; Suse Linux has already many German
> package translations).

some points:

Technical we need a special format for the description. I don't think, we can
make this with a wiki. Some (all?) translaters use po for the
translation... a wiki is a new, uncommon way to make translations.

You with have the problem of outdates translation. Someone change the
english description, but you don't have a updated translations....

one question:
  are the package descriptions/translations from Novell online?
  (like packages.debian.org)

Gruss
Grisu
--
Michael Bramer  -   http://www.feuerwehr.kreuzau.de/wiki/
"Whenever possible, steal code."                            -- Tom Duff