Re: Advice on template wording

On 03/12/2006, at 11:36 PM, MJ Ray wrote:

Clytie Siddall <clytie@riverland.net.au> wrote:
On 03/12/2006, at 6:20 AM, MJ Ray wrote:
Since version 1.5.3.4780-12 firebird server packages use debconf to

s/4780-12 /4780-12, /   ;# maybe less of a matter of opinion?

Necessary, unless you would say that string without the slightest
pause. ;)

I place commas to mark small breaks in the delivery (natural
placement), but I know some others (apparently including Strunk)
advocate a more pattern-based placement.

These fashions come and go. ;)

I've seen a lot of them over the years. Too much analysis, not enough emphasis on real language. The way people speak, and what they say when they do, is the real data. Written language is based on spoken language, and spoken language is a living thing and thus not particularly cooperative with theories and lines of best fit.

So I agree with your usage. :)