Re: Please fix all errors you find in Debian documents!

On 03/12/2006, at 1:26 AM, Jens Seidel wrote:

recently just another typo was reported in
www.debian.org/News/2005/20050920 by a Japanese translator.

It was a simple UCT instead of UTC typo which happens from time to time.
I fixed in already for all affected documents but noticed again that
this error was already fixed in the French translation (by Mohammed
Adn?ne Trojette).

Please, please report all such issues you find so that it can be fixed
everywhere!<snip>

Jens, while I entirely agree with you that we should report all typos we find, I would also point out that Mohammed quite possibly thought he saw "UTC" in the original string.

This "automatic reading" is one of the reasons we have spellcheckers. ;) Quite often, when reading through text, our eyes predict for us, and send us the expected word. In fact, the more experienced and avid readers we are, the more likely this is to happen.

This is why more eyes are better. I reported some typos for the Release Notes, for example, and thought I had got them all, but several other people have reported typos in that document since. It's a great advantage to have many eyes checking a doc.