Re: Please help to improve i18n support of DebianDoc-SGML (Was: Re: Work started on Release Notes for Etch (II))

On Mon, Nov 06, 2006 at 05:06:20PM +1030, Clytie Siddall wrote:
> On 06/11/2006, at 9:08 AM, Jens Seidel wrote:
> >Thanks to Daniel, debiandoc-sgml supports now (soon) Swedish as well.
> >
> >The following languages are currently supported. If you want to add
> >a new language, please adapt the attached files.
>
> I'm willing to put the time into this, but I don't know much about
> the process. So I'll have to work through it in bits, once I've

Please do it today or tomorrow. It is very easy and can be done quickly.
We need to upload soon. There can be of course more updates later if the
freeze allows it.

> translated the Release-Notes.

Just translate the attached files from the previous mail (needs only a
few minutes) in the preferred encoding of your language. UTF-8 is
supported. (There is probably the restriction, that nevertheless not all
UTF-8 characters in SGML files such as the Release Notes are supported
for PDF and PostScript output (uses the LaTeX backend). They will work
definitively in HTML and plain text.)

> Shouldn't we be using UTF8? The list of supported languages is full
> of legacy encodings.

Right. For existing translations I can call a character conversion by my
self to add UTF-8. (I first thought about an conversion at run time in
perl code, but adding static directories is probably simpler.)

> Is there anywhere I can find a list of locales for different systems?

If in doubt and if UTF-8 is required for your language use UTF-8.

> One of my problems in testing translations under X11 has been that
> there isn't a Vietnamese UTF8 locale on my machine. In fact, /usr/
> share/locale shows no Vietnamese locales at all. The OSX GUI takes
> care of this (full Unicode support for Vietnamese), but X11 uses the
> base system.

The build scripts for DDP (Debian Documentation system) specify the
document language to debiandoc-sgml. The current system encoding is not
used in this build environment, so don't worry. vi_VI.UTF-8 needs not to
exist.

I also know that you cannot try a local build yourself and will show
you a few Vietnamese documents based on your work. Just confirm later
that these are OK.

Jens