Re: Activation of Catalan in the DDTP/DDTSS

On 10/5/06, Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org> wrote:
> It would be possible to prohibit anonymous translations, yes.

Could you do that then? I've talked with some other members and they
agree.

Ok, I'll let you know when it's done.

> I could add a field for "real name".

Yes please. =) Also what's the purpose of the alias one? I'd like to
see the "real name" as mandatory and the "alias" as optional, or
simply removed, but that being global would have to be agreed with
the other teams I suppose.

The alias is for logging in. Real names are not guarenteed to be
unique, and subtle variations in spelling and capitalization make it
unsuitable for an identifier.

> Currently the DDTSS remembers that but the DDTS doesn't get told.
> Do you think this is important?

Yes. For at several reasons:

  * Give credit where credit is due. I like to acknowledge the work
    that translators do, and having their name there is an easy way.

Ok, so we should list every person who editted and/or reviewed a given
description? Who is *the* owner? I'm not against the idea, but I can't
pin down who should be the "owner" of a given translation.

  * Being able to tell people (by mail for example), if they make
    repeated mistakes, so that they can avoid them in the future.

I make it a point to look at the changes other people made to my
descriptions, but I guess it would be reasonable. I wonder if we
should give people the choice of whether they want their details
published.

  * It could be used to request updates to translations in the same
    way it's done for .po files, but maybe that's too heavyweight?

Hmm. I've translated over a 100 package descriptions and to be honest,
I don't remember many of them. If six months down the track someone
sent me an email saying the openoffice packages have had a description
update, what makes me more qualified than anybody else to do the
translation?

If it appears on the list I'll update the translation, but that's about it.

  * Also it's nice to see the work history of the people.

There have been some requests to track stats per user. I'm still
nailing down what stats. Probably "initial translations", "translation
updates" and "translation reviews". The total of these will probably
on the order of 5 times the number of actual packages...

One question that came to my mind now is, what about the copyright of
the translated works? Do we "assume" that translators disclaims it?
And under which license?

Offhand I wonder if three lines of translated text is copyrightable,
but I really have no idea.

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@gmail.com> http://svana.org/kleptog/