Re: How to use localized descriptions ?

On Sat, Sep 23, 2006 at 08:30:14AM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Quoting Olivier Vitrat (olivier.vitrat@gmail.com):
> > Hello,
> >
> > How can I use the localized translation files found on ddtp.debian.net
> > with the new APT (0.6.46) ? It's supposed to be supported, but how to
> > configure apt to tell him to get the translation-fr file and use it ?
> > any documentation anywhere about that new feature ?
> If I'm correct, the new APT in unstable does *not* have the translated
> descriptions support. This is only implemented in the APT in
> experimental.

That is correct. The apt with package descriptions translation suport
requires a ABI change and therefore a rebuild of all rdependencies of
libapt. Not a big issue, but something that needs to be discussed with
the release team. My current approach with the apt in unstable is to
keep it mostly bug-fixes only to avoid disrupting the release in Dec
goal in Dec.

> Actually, the i18n meeting in Extremadura concluded that we, i18n task
> force, should make all efforts needed to get this feature in unstable.
> Michael? :-)

I can easily merge the ddtp branch into the debian-sid branch. The
code should be good and stable (it seems used in ubuntu/edgy too and
there were no problems AFAICS). If the release team is ok with this
I'm fine with it too.

P.S. CC on discussions I'm not on debian-i18n. I'm also available in
irc (nick "mvo") if something needs to be discussed quickly.