Re: Final report from the internationalisation team meeting in Extremadura

On Sun, Sep 17, 2006 at 07:23:55PM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> The first Debian internationalisation meeting occurred from September
> 7th 2006 to September 9th 2006 in Casar de Caceres, Extremadura,
> Spain.
> Localization-config (l-c) revival
> ---------------------------------
> Christian Perrier presented the l-c package, which was aimed at
> completing the system localization on installed systems, in relation
> with D-I.
>
> l-c is used in the sarge installer to handle various
> localization/internationalization related parameters, which are not
> considered to be properly handled in the relevant packages: X serever
> keyboard settings, GDM localization, dictionaries settings,

Regarding dictionaries settings (ispell dicts and wordlists), there is also
code in dictionaries-common to handle that, unless the relevant debconf
value is already set.

Current status was that localization-config sets ispell dictionary-default
after initial country/lang settings, so dictionaries-common skip this, but
does the job for wordlists, where localization-config does nothing. I do not
know if this has changed recently.

In a bug report [#277410 localization-config: Provide wordlist preseeding
also for dictionaries-common] I explained how the dictionaries-common system
works for default selection and why I think there is no need to add anything
for wordlists, because current code already handles that.

I also suggested that might be better to disable default ispell dict
selection from localization-config, and test better the dictionaries-common
way, because it relies on really to be installed dicts, tries to set
reasonable fallbacks if there is no good (country,lang)->dict match, and
seems easier to maintain to me ;-).

Since I received no reply to my last mail about that I considered that
thread as frozen, but after your mail I think is time to think again where
we should do the job.

[Please cc me on replies, I am not subscribed to debian-i18n list]

--
Agustin