Re: European PT help needed

On 4/12/06, Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw) <felipe@cathedrallabs.org> wrote:

>         Marco, good that you bring this question up once again. :)

I think that this question must be resolved.  In my behalf thanks for
participating once again.

>         Last time I bring this question up and is the desire of
> the Brazilian Portuguese Team to share the resources with European
> Portuguese Team. I proposed a full split of www and other structures
> a couple of months ago and by request we wait some time.

To share resources is, in theory, a good thing, but many differences
are between the 2 languages (and in working habits) and in this case I
think it makes more sense, indeed, the full split.

>         A lot of parts of Debian already use pt and pt_BR, our
> intention is to complete this split to provide our users a better
> experience. Miguel (from DebianPT) already agree with me on that.

Yes, my view is that Miguel still thinks that the split should be
made.  This email thread started from our desire (me and his) to have
more resources and organization allocated.

>         Once again, there are no "hidden agenda" or secret historical
> itens here, just translators trying to get a better organization. A
> good idea, would be create a debian-l10n-brazilian and move our
> efforts to there, leaving debian-l10n-portuguese to European Portuguese
> translators.

What you say makes absolute sense to me. I think brazilian translators
may have a bit of a hard time moving themselves to a new mailing list,
and using different resources, and for that in my bug report
requesting a mailing list (bug #362165) I have suggested something
like debian-l10n-european-portuguese but it makes more sense to move
the brazillian team. Mailing lists named:

debian-l10n-european-portuguese
debian-l10n-portuguese

could be misleading.

>         My advice is to bring back the original discussion and prepare
> a plan together with Brazilian Portuguese team to re-sctruture what is
> our needs, probably copy the www directory and related stuff. With that
> we can arrange the necessary space and the necessary changes for both
> teams. I would be happy to help with that, but we still need i18n
> coordinators approval and some input from www team.

Indeed I (or us) need help on the process, but it's very important
that some sense is make out of this. We are wasting time, and if this
transation will never be made (or will take a very long time), it's
useless, and we are better making and improving our own system.  But,
to me, the best approach was the separation.

>         BTW, I don't see a need to split debian-users-portuguese and
> debian-devel-portuguese.

Neither do I.

Marco

PS:  For example, having a portuguese.debian.net with all our
resources there would be outstanding. I think that this should exist
for all teams.