Re: Third call for votes for the debian project leader election 2006

On 07/04/2006, at 4:32 AM, Eddy Petrişor wrote:

On 4/6/06, Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> wrote:
Did it ever occur to you that one can be an active Debian contributor
and not use Debian at all ?

No. And even if it did, I fail to see how that is relevant here. You
cannot be an active Debian contributor without knowing about its
culture, which is what Marc was talking about.

Tell that to Clytie.

Yes, indeed.

I have been translating actively for Debian for some time now. I do not normally go around saying this, but since degree and consistency of contribution are required: I have translated into Vietnamese and maintain the translation of the entire Debian Installer. I have translated and maintain the translation of the 630+ debconf templates. Debian will shortly be released in Vietnamese for the first time, which will be a huge step for access to free software in Vietnam.

I read this list, and contribute actively to it. I also read debian- devel. I have translated the Debian Reference Card. I have been involved in some documentation tasks, and some locale-implementation issues. I am a member of a number of women-in-computing groups, where Debian is frequently discussed. I mentor new translators, particularly women, and work in general to encourage new users and contributors in Debian. I plan to translate the Debian website.

My husband and son both use Debian actively on a variety of machines, experimenting with hardware and software to explore iits capabilities. My son also runs a debian-help IRC channel. Debian discussions in our household, and on our Jabber net, are frequent daily occurrences.

But I still didn't know that a translator, for example, could become a DD. I knew Christian was one, but he maintains at least one package.

And if you don't know something is possible, you don't take the time to read up on how to do it.