Re: Third call for votes for the debian project leader election 2006

<quote who="Wouter Verhelst" date="Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 08:58:57AM +0200">
> The problem is more one of 'how do we identify those people that aren't
> a Developer, but that do contribute regularly'.

There are a number of ways of doing this although, like NM, it's
ultimately a human process that is carried out in the context of
guidelines. Ubuntu has separate categories for member and maintainer
(only the latter can upload although they are equal in all other
respects) and their process involves testimonial, demonstrated work
over a long period of time, and review by an elected board. Something
similar could work in Debian.

> Since Debian votes are conducted through GPG-signed mails and
> regular contributors aren't part of the Debian web of trust, this is
> more than a convenience issue. Note that Debian Developers without
> an active key in the keyring can't vote, either.

The system could still require a key signed by another Debian
developer. The identity part of NM is not the most difficult part for
many and is easily overcome even by non-developers.

Regards,
Mako

--
Benjamin Mako Hill