Re: new language process (Quechua): 1st step adding a locale

El d�21/02/2006 a 01:20 Clytie Siddall escribi�

> Hello Rudy :)
>
> Welcome to Debian!

I'm already part of it (at least I feel so) ;)

> On 21/02/2006, at 12:53 AM, Rudy Godoy wrote (in part):
>
> >Once we've discussed here in the community about making a Quechua
> >translation, but as far as this project got is near to none. So maybe
> >it's the initial step to resume such initiatives. This language has
> >a particular characteristic since it's mostly spoken but people is not
> >used to write nor read on this language, there are not much produced
> >material for the later.
>
> I think you'll find that the more barriers to translation you can
> remove (get the locale set up, help with software, make sure you have
> people available to help with problems and encourage new people,
> monitor and support the process), the more translation will actually
> get done.
>
> It would also help to have a homepage/site for the translation
> effort, and get members of the community to contribute: photos,
> cultural material, help topics for people starting computing: have a
> focus area and make it useful, fun and user-friendly. (In particular,
> for cultural groups like the Quechua, who have such a strong visual
> and tactile tradition, there should be a lot of visual material, and
> (if you can afford them) touch-screen type controls.)

Yes, well that's a nice idea we haven't explored when discussing such
project. I'll take not of it.

> You can use Pootle (http://pootle-wordforge.org, http://
> translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/pootle) which simplifies the
> translation process so all a translator needs to do is sit down in
> front of a computer and type or speak to input translations. (You can
> even run your own Pootle, if you don't have a reliable Net
> connection. Pootle is free software.)

Yes, there is a now quite-dead effort to build such a project, it
also started as an idea from the Quechua translation initiative.
Its called poliglota and it was hosted in sf IIRC, but I'm unable to
find it now.

> It has been my experience that by simplifying the process, removing
> as many barriers as possible, and keying the project into the
> cultural life and attitudes of the people concerned, you not only
> achieve a very worthwhile task (in this case, translation of the
> software) but also empower those people, and give them experience
> which they can use in other areas. After all, it is their project.

Sure, that was also discussed. But now I'd like to focus on set the
base (the system locale and stuff, pushing to Debian -and upstream-)
then go back to people who have shown interested and tried to start
the real project.
Until now there was no further progress than the translation
interface/engine and some meetings, but all is quite dead now.
So, hopefully this could be the restart of such intends :)

> I hope this is useful. Good luck with your effort, and please give my
> respects to the elders of the Quechua community.

Sure, although I don't interact with many of them now, but I'm looking
for having them working on future.

regards,
Rudy

--