Re: new language process (Quechua): 1st step adding a locale

On 21/02/2006, at 5:05 PM, Rudy Godoy wrote:

Welcome to Debian!

I'm already part of it (at least I feel so) ;)

That's good. :)

You can use Pootle (http://pootle-wordforge.org, http://
translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/pootle) which simplifies the
translation process so all a translator needs to do is sit down in
front of a computer and type or speak to input translations. (You can
even run your own Pootle, if you don't have a reliable Net
connection. Pootle is free software.)

Yes, there is a now quite-dead effort to build such a project, it
also started as an idea from the Quechua translation initiative.
Its called poliglota and it was hosted in sf IIRC, but I'm unable to
find it now.

Yes, I've come across polygota.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/polyglota

but I don't know anyone actually using it. I don't know how active it is now.

I think you probably save a lot of time and resources by using an established interface. I've lost count of how many online translation interfaces have popped up, some very active and productive (e.g. Pootle, Rosetta), but many seem to be ephemeral.

It has been my experience that by simplifying the process, removing
as many barriers as possible, and keying the project into the
cultural life and attitudes of the people concerned, you not only
achieve a very worthwhile task (in this case, translation of the
software) but also empower those people, and give them experience
which they can use in other areas. After all, it is their project.

Sure, that was also discussed. But now I'd like to focus on set the
base (the system locale and stuff, pushing to Debian -and upstream-)
then go back to people who have shown interested and tried to start
the real project.

Yes, being able to present them with something to work with, would be a great start.

Until now there was no further progress than the translation
interface/engine and some meetings, but all is quite dead now.
So, hopefully this could be the restart of such intends :)

I hope so, too. It's always a great pity when things bog down like that. Getting something actually happening would be great. :)

I hope this is useful. Good luck with your effort, and please give my
respects to the elders of the Quechua community.

Sure, although I don't interact with many of them now, but I'm looking
for having them working on future.

Yes, that would be essential. Good luck!