Re: Work on a centralized infrastructure for i18n/l10n

Il giorno mer, 21/12/2005 alle 09.30 +0100, Javier Fernández-Sanguino
Peña ha scritto:
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 05:50:48AM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
> > Quoting Margarita Manterola (marga@debian.org):
> > > Hola Bartosz Fenski aka fEnIo!

> > > Well, I'm impressed. It's really *very* nice.
> > >
> > > Some UI adjustments are needed, but a lot of work has already been done.
> > > Amazing! Thanks for the link. I'll probably start working on making it more
> > > usable and attractive to translators.
> >

> > I really suggest you do your best to work on it with people from this
> > list. There have already been a lot of discussions around this topic
> > of a centralized infrastructure.... Up to now, it mostly stopped at the
> > discussion level....so we probably just need someone who pushes the
> > whole thing on and contributions will come quickly.
>
> IMHO we need to write down our requirements first, in order to be able to
> discuss them properly.

I completly agree with you. We need requirements first.

> A centralized infrastructure, like Pootle, needs some
> things that (IIRC) are missing in Pootle:
>
> - a way for translation teams to decide how the review process of new
>   translations is done ("needs 1 review", "needs X reviews", "does not need
>   review")
> - a way to detect consistency in translations (same term translated

I think this is difficult to automate. This is one of the reviewer work.
Automatic spellchecking is implemented for Debian installer.

> - a way to automatically extract (from packages, CVS or SVN) and update
>   the po's we use in Debian:
> 	* po-debconf
> 	* po-xml (some documents)
> 	* po-ddtp?

I don't know on CVS but on SVN you can add scripts processed after
commit

> - a way to work with things that are not po files:
> 	* wml files
> 	* some documents (XML or SGML)

Debian installer manual has some script I am currintly testing on your
Security HOWTO, but they work on XML, I am unable to work on SGML
DebianDoc as we don't use terminating tags for many entity.

> 	* manpages

> [ Note: I know we have po4a but sometimes upstream won't introduce the use of
> po regardless of how we ask for it ]
>
> So what we might need is a pootle instance running in Debian servers,
> customised for the project and managed (database and server) by the DSA so
> proper permissions can be given to i18n teams.

Are you sure pootle is the correct base to develop tools for every
Debian related translation? I think package description need different
tools as they are not managed via gettext/po.

> > What we're IMHO missing right now is someone who begins to organize
> > the work and avoid people going in various directions at the same time
> > and wasting resources. The bazaar is not always the most efficient
> > work method..:)
>
> We need to write down our intentions working in, let's say, a design phase.

Ok, we need to write down requirements, then design then code...
First of all we need to list everything that need translation aside with
the type (i.e. wml, SGML, XML, ..)

Bye
Stefano

--
Stefano Canepa aka sc: sc@linux.it  http://www.stefanocanepa.it
Three great virtues of a programmer: laziness, impatience and hubris.