Re: Work on a centralized infrastructure for i18n/l10n

On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 05:50:48AM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Quoting Margarita Manterola (marga@debian.org):
> > Hola Bartosz Fenski aka fEnIo!
> >
> > > Consider *free* alternative called pootle[1].
> >
> > Well, I'm impressed. It's really *very* nice.
> >
> > Some UI adjustments are needed, but a lot of work has already been done.
> > Amazing! Thanks for the link. I'll probably start working on making it more
> > usable and attractive to translators.
>

> I really suggest you do your best to work on it with people from this
> list. There have already been a lot of discussions around this topic
> of a centralized infrastructure.... Up to now, it mostly stopped at the
> discussion level....so we probably just need someone who pushes the
> whole thing on and contributions will come quickly.

IMHO we need to write down our requirements first, in order to be able to
discuss them properly. A centralized infrastructure, like Pootle, needs some
things that (IIRC) are missing in Pootle:

- a way for translation teams to decide how the review process of new
  translations is done ("needs 1 review", "needs X reviews", "does not need
  review")
- a way to detect consistency in translations (same term translated
- a way to automatically extract (from packages, CVS or SVN) and update
  the po's we use in Debian:
	* po-debconf
	* po-xml (some documents)
	* po-ddtp?
- a way to work with things that are not po files:
	* wml files
	* some documents (XML or SGML)
	* manpages
- a way for translators to disable Pottle-managed translations
  (I don't understand why, for example the spanish translation of Gaim
   is in Pootle, I never asked for it and don't use it)

[ Note: I know we have po4a but sometimes upstream won't introduce the use of
po regardless of how we ask for it ]

So what we might need is a pootle instance running in Debian servers,
customised for the project and managed (database and server) by the DSA so
proper permissions can be given to i18n teams.

> For instance, Martin Quinson and a few others (sorry if I can't remind
> who) already began some work on the current packaging of pootle along
> with the package maintainer.

That's great.

> What we're IMHO missing right now is someone who begins to organize
> the work and avoid people going in various directions at the same time
> and wasting resources. The bazaar is not always the most efficient
> work method..:)

We need to write down our intentions working in, let's say, a design phase.
And offer the design over to somebody that can code it (or pay somebody that
can code it)

Regards

Javier