Re: Work on a centralized infrastructure for i18n/l10n

2005/12/21, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña <jfs@computer.org>:
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 12:28:15PM +0100, Thomas Huriaux wrote:

> I don't like to use po for documentation. Translators lose context and that
> sometimes mean worst translators. That being said, I'm probably not alone and

Although I'm not well known here, I'll risk agreeing with Javier in
the context issue leading to worse translations. That is an issue that
must be be avoided.

> initially, although some translation teams developed web-based interfaces)
> and that meant that only *some* teams worked with it. We should learn from
> our mistakes, not repeat them.

When I started translating software, I worked with the hipergate.org
guys, and they had built a nice wiki-style translation insterface for
what would be the typical po translating work.
That kind of interface could lead to faster and (why not) better
translations, because everyone can contribute using very small
fractions of time. But maybe only to po-style and limited codesets...
I'm not sure how this multi-codeset, RTL/LTR stuff would look in a web
browser.
--
Paulo Marcondes
PU2PIX/PU1