Re: Providing context (was: Re: Limping on with GIMP)

On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 06:07:17PM +0930, Clytie Siddall wrote:
[...]
> We really need a way for the comments we _can_ input to be picked up
> when the main file is updated, and then passed out with all the
> updated PO files. Could this be done by adapting any of the l10n
> scripts currently in action?

I disagree, if translators believe that comments should be added,
they talk to developers and such comments are added to sources
and automatically merged into PO files afterwards.
With your solution, you cannot know who made these comments, and
what happens if several people add comments in different PO files
at the same time?

> One could imagine a large total of comments, but
> certainly to start out with, it would provide the translator with
> some information in the PO file, not having to hunt it up anywhere
> else, and allow us to help each other out, not duplicate effort.

This can also be achieved by adding a comments.po file which
is hand edited by translators if they want to add comments before
they reach sources.
I believe that it is pretty useless, but we could give it a try.

Denis