Providing context (was: Re: Limping on with GIMP)

On 13/09/2005, at 5:33 PM, Vincent Untz wrote:

On Tue, September 13, 2005 06:45, Clytie Siddall wrote:

BTW, if someone wants to add some translator comments to the GIMP
source code to reduce ambiguity of such strings, I'd very much welcome such an effort and would take care of applying such a patch as fast as
possible.

Is this really our responsibility? I'm interested.

I'd say it's the responsability of the maintainers and the translators:
the maintainers might not know/think that one particular string is
difficult to translate. However, it's true that maintainers probably
have a better idea of what should be written in the comments...

Thanks, Vincent, that helps clarify it for me. There's a current thread on the TP list about the context issue in general, and it brought up _how_ we as translators could add to contextual information for each other, as our part of this responsibility. (The maintainer part being up to them, although we might be able to have useful input.)

We really need a way for the comments we _can_ input to be picked up when the main file is updated, and then passed out with all the updated PO files. Could this be done by adapting any of the l10n scripts currently in action?

For example, I finally work out what:

msgid "S"

means, and input my comment:

# This stands for Silly String, and appears in the Strange Menu
msgid "S"
msgstr "Chuỗi ngớ ngẩn"

and upload the file. Next time the original file is updated, a script is run which collects all current comments from the PO files, then makes sure each PO file has all the comments (a variant on msgmerge?). One could imagine a large total of comments, but certainly to start out with, it would provide the translator with some information in the PO file, not having to hunt it up anywhere else, and allow us to help each other out, not duplicate effort.

Is this at all doable?