Re: comments/string changes and issues with dpkg's messages

On 8/29/05, Konstantinos Margaritis <markos@debian.org> wrote:
> On Κυριακή 28 Αύγουστος 2005 12:52, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> > It's an interesting question, certainly; to my mind I don't think
> > it's any scarier to dump a scary english message or a scary french
> > one.  The added advantage to translating them is that the user
> > might have the skill to know what's going wrong and fix it, the
> > disadvantage is that I have to un-translate them when the error
> > reports come in.
>
> There is a simple solution one to this problem, one which I see is
> implemented in professional J2EE platforms, and not only there.
>
> Use unique codes in error messages alongside with the translatable
> text, so instead of having just:
>
> error: xyz: stat
>
> instead use the following:
>
> error: E0943: Could not stat file for xyz
>
> That way both the developers and the users know what is the error.
>
> I'm pretty sure that with a well defined schema for errors (eg. EXXXX
> for errors, WXXXX for warnings, IXXXX for informational msgs. etc),
> it would benefit everyone.

This is a good idea, imho, but I have a comment:

A list of error codes which is not handled automatically would be a
nightmare and is prone to errors.

An automatic mechanism for assigning uniqe error codes in a repeatable
manner is necessary. (a hash from the string "<filename>:<function
name>:<line>", maybe?)

--
Regards,
EddyP