Re: comments/string changes and issues with dpkg's messages

On Sun, 2005-08-28 at 08:05 +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:

> Quoting Denis Barbier (barbier@linuxfr.org):
> > On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 09:00:04PM +0100, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> > > Yes, because god forbid a developer should be able to understand what's
> > > going on when a user files a bug report.
> >
> > These ohshite messages tell nothing to end users, so they are mostly
> > useful for dpkg developers to deal with bugreports, which is why they
> > should not be translatable.
>

> ...which I mostly agree, yes, and would probably make the dpkgPO file
> less frightening to translators..:-)
>
> Scott, the above was obiously humor but it then confuses my mind..:-)
> Do you actually agree with the messages better being *not*
> translatable or do you prefer keeping the current situation?

It's an interesting question, certainly; to my mind I don't think it's
any scarier to dump a scary english message or a scary french one.  The
added advantage to translating them is that the user might have the
skill to know what's going wrong and fix it, the disadvantage is that I
have to un-translate them when the error reports come in.

Scott
--
Have you ever, ever felt like this?