Re: hello + UTF-8

Hello !

On 8/7/05, Jutta Wrage <jw@witch.westfalen.de> wrote:
> Maybe an new discovery; I made, helps here:
>
> I visited http://www.linux-india.org/ with two different browsers.
> The page is broken, but the importand thing can be seen:
>
> The third line on the right has one of the vovel signs in question
> applied, too.
> I looked the page with two OSX apps, but that should be no problem.
>
> - - Omniweb shows the f-like character behind the first letter.

The first word is 'Linux' (  लिनक्स ) and since the display is not
right it will be read as 'Lanix' (this is a phonetic translation in
English)

<grin> the f-like character (i like the way you described it) is a
vowel marking (like umlauts in Deutsch :-)).

> - - Safari shows it in front of the first letter.

Correct, The f-like character must be in front of the first letter (a
consonant).

ं

> So it must be more an application problem. If I paste it to a mail,
> both of them look equal:
>
> लिनक्स-इन्डिया में

In the above example, both the words have spelling mistakes due to the
f-like character being placed in the second (or latter) consonant.
When its read with the spelling error, the meaning changes too.  In
the second word  इन्डिया {="India"} the second alphabet is a
half-consonant+full consonant but the current display will be read as
"Indyi", which is an error.

> I see the f-like thingy at the beginning of the line here, when
> writing the mail. That is like Safari shows it and not like Omniweb
> shows it.
> I think, the same might happen for different X applications.
>
> The problem now is to find out, where the vovel sign should be
> placed. Then one can file bugs. ;-)

Afaik, U+093F (to the left of the consonant) has display problems with
text editors and other applications, whilst U+0940 (to the right of
the consonant)  renders correctly.  Since the meaning of the word
changes if the vowel sign is placed with a succeding consonant instead
of the preceeding one, this is a problem.

Placement of vowels (right or left) depends on the word spelling and
some degree of familiarity with the language and script helps in easy
identification of errors though not mandatory.

Thanks for all the help :-)
--
cheers,