Re: DebianDay

On 27/06/2005, at 11:22 PM, Luk Claes wrote:

>You can find the slides at http://people.debian.org/~luk/i18n-l10n.pdf

***
In introduction, you could say a word about adding comments to translators.

Source file:
/* NoteToTranslators: This string means this and that */
char *str=_("obscure string");

xgettext -­keyword=_ --add-comments=NoteToTranslators -o $(PACKAGE).pot -f POTFILES.in

(note that on silde 9, you're missing one of the - in --keyword)

***
On silde 16, you could give a better look of the variable hierarchy
LANG is overrided by everyone
LC_* is for fine setting
LC_ALL overrides everyone

You could also show how to get a fallback other than english:
LANG=no:da:en
(it does not work for LC_?? variables)

***
More generally, I personnaly always use \begin{block}{title} \end{block} in
beamer to make neat boxes around the text, but that's personal.

***
On slide 19, second dot isn't clear, but that's important. I'd say:
Remove the _ from field templates which shouldn't be translated (user login,
host name, port number)

Third dot: add "(old translation in templates.XX; they now live in po/)" or
so

Fourth dot: debhelper (>= 4.1.16)

Fifth dot: add a subitemize
  - call dh_installdebconf in binary target
    (or manually, po2debconf debian/templates > debian/tmp/DEBIAN/templates)
    [Oh, damn, it's on slide 21. Ignore it, then :]
  - call debconf-updatepo in clean target (so that distributed po files are
    uptodate; not doing so constitute a very effective translator trap)

Last dot: add "if needed", since I never had to do so, after several dozen
of switches...

***
Next slide: explain the -v flags to get some feedback about the translation
updateness

***

That's it. Neat presentation, congratulations.

Bye, Mt.