Re: debian-ddtp and rosetta

> I have seen this sort of statement before and noticed that
> if many users just start accepting non-free software just
> because it's been pledged, it seems to take even longer
> to become free software (two examples which come to mind:
> latex2html and t7e). The "when it's ready" maxim also sort of

Well, while not going as far as MJ is doing by implicitely stating
that non-free software is unacceptable at all (I happen to live in the
real world and deal with real users daily....:-))), I must mention
that in the case of Rosetta, the tool being non-free makes it a
complete no-no for translations in Debian.

Moreover, the existence of the Pootle tool, which has the exact same
goals than Rosetta, gives us an free alternative...

Actually, I dream of Mark realizing this and merge the effort on
Rosetta with those on Pootle (moreover, telling him that Pootle people
are mostly ZA people could help..:-)) and avoid getting two concurrent
project with the exact same goal.

> Please, bring rosetta back to debian-i18n "eventually"
> (when it's free software), not before.

It won't. At least not with me, for sure. And, even if it becomes free
in terms of DFSG, this will highly depend on whether some work has
been done with Pootle or not. Pootle is on the way of being adopted by
several Free Software projects, that's a point not to be forgotten.

> In the meantime, it looks like there's several free softwares
> for this, so what's the attraction of rosetta anyway? ;-)

Because Ubuntu uses it and most of us want to have a good
collaboration with Ubuntu, especially when it comes at localisation.

So, even if not using it (and we probably won't), dealing with it to
avoid duplicated work is important.

In case some people would be tempted, I really would like to see any
Ubuntu-bashing out of -i18n... Localisation is actually an issue where
contacts are good between Ubuntu and Debian (Michael's mail is such an
example for me) and I'd really like this to remain as is.